(Food styling: Michelle Pilarczyk; Image: Emöke Sasi)
Read more about the women of the International Cooking Club Singapore, who contributed this recipe to the club’s The Red Dot Melting Pot Cookbook plus 7 other recipes you can find here!
Ingredients – Tandoori Chicken
2 chickens, cut into medium-sized pieces
250 ml (1 cup) yogurt, water drained
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
3–4 tbsp Tandoori chicken masala
Salt, to taste
Orange food colouring, a pinch (optional)
Ingredients – Gravy
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cloves
2 bird’s eye green chillies, halved, plus more to garnish
2 red onions, puréed
4 tomatoes, puréed
2 small tins (305 g/11 oz each) tomato purée, preferably Hunt’s brand
3–4 tbsp Butter chicken masala
Salt, to taste
2/3 cup chicken stock or water
1/2 large green bell pepper (capsicum), diced
A pinch of sugar
3 tbsp Kasuri Methi* (optional)
300 g (1-¼ cups) cooking cream, plus more to garnish
1/2 a handful of coriander, leaves only
Instructions – Tandoori Chicken
1. In a large bowl, whisk all Tandoori Chicken ingredients except for the chicken and cooking spray. Add the chicken and turn until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or preferably overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 270˚C (520 ˚F).
3. Lay the chicken on a baking try and spray with the cooking spray.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is just cooked and the top is nicely browned but not overdone.
Instructions – Gravy
1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the cumin, cinnamon, cloves and chillies. Cook, stirring, for 20–30 seconds.
2. Add the onion puree and cook until the onions start to brown on the edges.
3. Add in the puréed fresh tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes before adding in the tomato purée, Butter chicken masala and salt. Mix well.
4. Add the Tandoori Chicken and all its drippings from the baking tray and add into the simmering gravy. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock or water. Turn up the heat and bring the sauce to a boil.
5. Add the green bell pepper (capsicum), then lower the heat and let simmer, uncovered, for 30–40 minutes.
6. Add the pinch of sugar, Kasuri Methi (optional) and more green chillies, depending on spice preference. Stir in the cream and simmer until warm.
7. Place the chicken in a serving bowl and ladle over the gravy. Garnish with a dollop of cream, more cut green chillies and chopped coriander leaves.
8. Serve with roti, naan or rice.
Where to Buy:
Ginger-garlic paste: Mustafa, most primary grocery stores
Tandoori chicken masala: Mustafa
Butter chicken masala: Mustafa, spice sellers at Tekka wet market
Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves): Mustafa, spice sellers at Tekka wet market
Like this? Read more delicious Eat + Drink stories here.
More on The Finder: