(Food styling: Michelle Pilarczyk; Image: Claudia Anzur)
Read more about the women of the International Cooking Club Singapore, who contributed this recipe to the club’s The Red Dot Melting Pot Cookbook plus 7 other recipes you can find here!
Ingredients – Parsley Pesto
30 g (1 oz) parsley leaves
40 g (1-½ oz) pine nuts
2 large garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
50 g (2 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
A large pinch of salt, more to taste
A large pinch of freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
Ingredients – Shortbreads
120 g (1 cup) flour
A few pinches of salt
A few pinches of cayenne pepper, more to taste
90 g (6 tbsp) butter, cubed
2 tbsp water
120 g (4 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
Ingredients – Assembly
70 g (2-½ oz) goat cheese
Serrated cookie cutter* (1-½ cm [2/3 in])
Instructions – Parsley Pesto
1. Place the parsley, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese into a food processor or blender.
2. Pulse until it forms a thick paste. Add the salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
3. The parsley pesto can be prepared in advance. It keeps well for a few days in a fridge in an air-tight container.
Instructions – Shortbreads
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350 ºF).
2. Combine the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, butter, water, and grated Parmesan cheese into a food processor. Pulse the mixture until it becomes a smooth dough.
3. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface. It will likely crumble a little bit but this is fine. Roll out sections to a thickness of approximately 1/2 cm (1/4 in) and using a 1-½ cm (2/3 in) round serrated cookie cutter, stamp out the Shortbreads. Pull together the rest of the dough. If the dough has crumbled or cracked too much, roll it back into a tight ball and repeat until all of the dough is used up and all the Shortbreads are cut out. Place them onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
4. Place into the oven and bake until golden, approximately 8 minutes.
5. Let the Shortbreads cool before assembling.
6. Note that the Shortbread bases may be prepared in advance. Follow the steps as far as stamping the shapes out and store in an air-tight container in the fridge with parchment paper separating the layers of unbaked Shortbreads. Do not bake until just before serving.
Instructions – Assembly
To assemble, place a small spoonful of Parsley Pesto onto each Shortbread and top with a little dollop of the goat cheese. Serve.
Like this? Read more delicious Eat + Drink stories here.
More on The Finder: